As the world compels to lock down and close schools, students and teachers are hopping onto virtual platforms to not let the pandemic disrupt education. Google Classroom became the first choice for the teachers to use.
Google Classroom helps teachers to create an online classroom area in which they can manage all the documents that their students need. A teacher can create, distribute, and grade assignments.
The classroom is available on the web or by mobile app. You can use Google Classroom with many tools that you already use, such as Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Calendar.
Google Classroom features include:
- Connects teachers with students.
- Facilitate creating a class and invite learners.
- Helps teachers to distribute assignments.
- Makes it easy for teachers to create, review, and mark assignments.
- Helps students to see assignments, documents, and class materials in one place.
- Use the possibility of participating in programs, the teacher can, for example, run a show on his device and make it available to his students, as well as run the word processor program and display some papers through it.
- Controls the entry and exit of students from the classroom.
- Records the lecture by voice and image that takes place in the classroom.
Pros and Cons of Google classroom
As a free online learning platform, Google Classroom has advantages and disadvantages.
The benefits of Google classroom :
The virtual classroom has removed time and location restrictions, which many suffer from in the traditional classroom. With these restrictions lifted, learners are free to study and finish courses at any time, anywhere. Learners are also free to deal with other subjects in the classroom, do the job, absorb classroom content, or take tests at the time that suits their schedule if learning is open.
There are other benefits in virtual classrooms if viewed from a physical point of view . the cost of setting up a classroom in real life is not comparable to the cost of building or creating online classrooms.
Getting instant feedback about tests is another great feature in the google classroom. If you have an online test or assignment, you don’t have to wait days or weeks to receive your results. The results of tests, assignments, or tasks performed online are usually obtained once the learner has finished submitting them, which helps to keep track of the student’s progress.
Disadvantages of google classes:
Although the advantages of virtual classes are more than their disadvantages, there are some drawbacks to note:
The need for additional training
One of the disadvantages of virtual classrooms is that some trainers and students face challenges in acquiring and adopting technology, and most of the reasons are for technical reasons in the use of new methods. For example, some teachers have problems in preparing courses and coordinating them online, which requires additional training in the design of these materials.
Cons (disadvantages) of Google classroom
– Poor interaction between teacher and learner
– The difficulty of identifying and selecting the method of evaluation. Therefore, provides an accurate assignment of student’s performance.
– The lack of realistic interaction in online classes is the most important shortcoming. In some cases, we need human touches between the learner and the teacher, and we especially speak here about the practical part of the subject.
– There are educational materials suitable for direct e-learning and achieving great effectiveness. For instance, I can explain at length about a natural scientific phenomenon. But, we can avoid all the effort by going on a school trip or by going to the laboratory and watch it directly.
– E-learning may be hacked by other people on the Internet, so strong protection systems must be available.
-The need for additional training
One of the disadvantages of virtual classrooms is that some trainers and students face challenges in acquiring and adopting the technology. Most of the reasons are for technical reasons. For example, some teachers have problems in preparing courses and coordinating them online, which requires additional training about how to use these classes.
Although there are some drawbacks to electronic classes, we can overcome them, especially if they are good for students
How to create Google classroom as a teacher?
- Go to google.com. You have to sign in with your Google Apps for Education account. Google Classroom requires schools to use G Suite for Education.
- Then, click the plus sign at the top and choose Create Class.
- In the Create a Class dialogue box, type in the Class Name and Section.
- Add a short description of your class, grade level, or class time, click Section, and enter the details.
- To add a subject such as English, choose the Subject and write a name or choose one from the list that appears when you enter text.
- To enter the room location for the class, click Room, and enter the details.
- Click create.
- Congratulations! You have now created your Google Classroom.
Now you will see a class code displayed, but you won’t need that right now. We’ll use it at a later time when you want to invite students to your class. If you want to see the code, you can view it on the Stream page.
How to join Google classroom as a student?
To use the Classroom, you go to google classroom and join classes. After joining a class, you can receive work from your teacher and communicate with your classmates.
You can join a class by one of these ways :
- Your teacher can send you a class link, a class code, or an email invite.
Join a class by using a code :
- Go to classroom.google.com.
- Make sure to sign in with the correct account. Next, enter the class code your teacher send to you and click Join. The teacher sent the code to you when the class was created. When joined, you’ll see your class homepage.
- Note: Class codes are 6-7 characters, and use letters and numbers. Codes can’t have spaces or special symbols
- If you don’t have your code, check your school email.
After you join a class on one device, you’re entered into that class form all devices.
Join with an email invite
Accept the invite in Classroom
Go to google.com.sign in with the correct account. Then, click join on the class card.
Accept the invite in your email
- Open your email you use for Classroom.
- Click Join in the email invite.
What is the stream and how to post on it?
Student can communicate with his class in the class stream in the following ways:
- Post new things or a question to the class stream.
Example: what’s your favorite color?
- Comment—A response to a post or comment.
Example: my favorite color is red.
- Reply—A response to a comment by another person
Example: +commenter’s name Thanks!
Note: If your teacher does not allow you, you can’t post, comment, or reply to comments.
Post announcements to your students
A teacher can post announcements to class on the class stream. You can use the Announcement to give notices or reminders to your students. They appear in chronological order.
You can control who comments or replies to posts. Moreover, you can save the post as a draft and schedule an announcement. students get an email when you post an announcement.
What is the Classwork page?
As a teacher, you can post assignments and discussion questions on the classwork page.
Like other types of posts on the Classwork page, materials can be organized chronologically or grouped into topics, reordered, and scheduled to post later.
What is the people’s page?
This page shows teachers and students in the class. Teachers and students can be added and emailed from here.
From the classroom People tab, click the Add icon under Students.
To add teachers, click the Add icon under teachers.